s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Cat. & References: Class vs. Instance (and Basketball!)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cat. & References: Class vs. Instance (and Basketball!)

The other day, I had to catalog a book about the Brownville Junction Railroaders, which are a local high school basketball team.

When you're working with local history, you're very often cataloging books about subjects that are so obscure, no one has ever written about them before. On the one hand, this makes them interesting. On the other hand, this makes it hard to find the right call number.

Doing a keyword search in the catalog on "Brownville Junction Railroaders" was useless, because this was the first book ever written about them.

I hunted through the GV schedules (GV = Recreation and Leisure), but I don't catalog a lot of sports, so I couldn't find what I was looking for. I did find "Sports - Individual schools and colleges" (but that was only for colleges and universities), "Basketball - By region or country - By city" (only for city-wide programs, not for individual high schools), and "Basketball for children and youth" (only for youth league programs).

What I needed to do was find where other books on an individual high school basketball team would be classified. (Individual team is the key, here, because books about an individual member of a class are often located in a somewhat different place from books about a class, in general.)

I racked my brains to try to think of a well known nonfiction book about an individual high school basketball team, so that I could look up its call number. Barring that, I reasoned, I could try to think of a book about an individual high school team from another sport. (Similar topics are often structured similarly in the schedules, so if I could find the correct classification in another sport, I could probably use it to figure out the correct classification for basketball.)

Any guesses as to the book I finally thought of?

5 Comments:

At October 16, 2012 4:58 PM, Blogger Rachel Helps said...

was Hoosiers inspired by a book? Or perhaps a book about Steve Young?

 
At October 16, 2012 5:24 PM, Blogger Handy or Not said...

Or possibly Friday Night Lights?

 
At October 16, 2012 5:40 PM, Blogger BJ Homer said...

Hoosiers was what first came to mind as well, though I'm not sure it was a book. Regardless, I now have the soundtrack stuck in my head.

 
At October 16, 2012 11:56 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Friday Night Lights was my guess as well.

 
At October 17, 2012 8:19 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Handy and Theric guessed it. (I was actually pretty proud of myself for thinking of it, seeing as I'm so non-sports oriented.)

Apparently Hoosiers is loosely based on a real Indiana high school, but I couldn't find that a book had been written about just that high school's basketball team. (I didn't search exhaustively, though.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home