s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Lead Kindly Light

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Lead Kindly Light

This is a pretty good hymn. It’s not as fun to sing as All Creatures of our God and King, but it’s fun to play. The unusual 3/2 time signature makes it more interesting than it might otherwise be, and the way that the parts move independently makes the piece “flow” better than a lot of hymns. It’s not one I’ve tried to play on the organ, yet. I think I could manage on the manuals OK if I cut out the tenor part (or maybe added it to the right hand). It doesn’t look like something that would be too easy on the pedals, as the base line moves around too much.

“I do not ask to see the distant scene – one step enough for me.”

This line has been particularly resonant lately. I do feel as though I’ve only been seeing “one step ahead” for a several years, now. When I was graduating, I had no idea what career to pursue, only I had one small lead concerning a possible interim job. When I took the job, I knew I couldn’t stay there long-term, but I had no idea what direction to take, whether I should go back to school or what kind of employment to look for. By the time I’d been working there for six months, I had a vaguely formed idea of going to grad school in library science, but I’d just missed the applications date for the program I was interested in. So I waited another year to apply, which turned out to be lucky (or a blessing) because most of the jobs I’m now looking at want at least two years of experience as well as the management experience I gained in my last year.

So, I have to admit that God appears to have planned this out pretty well, thus far. Which doesn’t mean that I’m not still worrying. Far from it. I wouldn’t say that “pride ruled my will,” but I’m definitely someone who “loved to choose and see my path.” I’m an inveterate planner and worrier. (It’s the green in me.) So it’s been very hard for me to have to plan my life out in smaller chunks, without being sure where I’m going to find myself in six months or a year. I don’t know if I’ll find a second assistantship next year. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to find the kind of job I want upon graduation. I don’t know how much more I’ll have to borrow, or how long it will take to pay back my loans. I don’t know how long I’ll even be in the workforce, as I’d be happy to drop out and be a Mom (once I finish the degree).

But I’m not supposed to be worrying about those things, apparently. I’ve got my classes for next semester picked out, I’ve lined up a job I’m really excited about, and I’ll keep plugging along – one step at a time.

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2005 11:26 AM, Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

Well done.

I needed this post today. All the decisions I need to make this week seem to be inordinately vexing, and it's nice to be reminded who's really in charge.

Thanks again.

 
At December 14, 2005 10:17 AM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

It's too bad you don't know exactly what you'll be doing with the rest of your life, like I do. :)

Amen to you and amen to Tolkien Boy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home