s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: How to be a good 100 Hour Board writer: the first in a (possibly) ongoing series

Sunday, April 09, 2006

How to be a good 100 Hour Board writer: the first in a (possibly) ongoing series

1. Answer questions

This sounds pretty obvious, but you’d be surprised.

My induction into 100 Hour Board writer-dom was a bit unorthodox. I didn’t apply (more like I harassed my way on) and I didn’t come on at the beginning of the semester with the rest of the newbies. In fact, I wasn’t even a BYU student at the time (although I was planning on taking an evening class the following semester, which I believe was the justification for bending the rules a bit). I’d also heard about other writers who hadn’t been too keen on my joining, so I was sort of trying to lay low and not step on any toes.

So I’d been on the Board for just a few weeks, and there weren’t very many questions in the inbox at any one time (those were the days), so it was kind of a contest to see who “got” to answer an easy question first. And I remember there was this one question about why Christmas lights worked differently from regular lights. And I thought: “Well, it’s because Christmas lights are wired in series and regular lights are wired in parallel.” (Duh.) But I didn’t answer the question. And then I checked the inbox later that day, and the question was still there. And I read it again, and I thought: “Hello? Christmas lights are wired in series, not in parallel.” But I still didn’t write anything. And I checked the inbox the next morning, and the question was still there. So I yelled at it again. And long about the afternoon of the second day, I finally figured out that apparently no one else knew the answer to that particular question, and maybe I should answer it instead of yelling at it.

So I did.

4 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 6:00 PM, Blogger FoxyJ said...

I applied to be a writer several weeks ago and I never heard back from them. But, I also don't know anything about electricity or Christmas lights, so maybe they don't need me.

 
At April 10, 2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Wiglaf said...

2. Continually break the rule about not answering a question identical to a previous one IF the question is related to dating. (dear 100 hour board: how can I tell if a girl likes me?)

3. Remember that Big Brother is watching you.

 
At April 10, 2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

How can I tell if a girl likes me?

 
At April 10, 2006 10:41 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Th. - See Board Question 12506.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home