s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Cat. & Reference: A day in the life

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cat. & Reference: A day in the life

On Friday, the head of our acquisitions department came by with a special request for me.

"I have a gift book that's going to be a puzzle for you . . . unless, of course, you read Russian," she chuckled.


"No, I do."

"Oh. Well then, here's the book."

"Ah, OK. It's a book about the history of art in Ukraine, but it's not in Russian, it's in Ukrainian."

"Can you still catalog it?"

"Sure."

(I have the sense that one of the other staff members is really intimidated by me, so I've been trying really hard to be nice and friendly to her . . . and then I bust out my reading knowledge of the entire East Slavic language sub-family. I think I just took one step forward and a couple of steps back.)

6 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 3:07 AM, Blogger BJ Homer said...

Dear Katya,

You fascinate me.

-Yellow

 
At March 14, 2008 3:20 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

[grins] Katya, intimidating? Never!

 
At March 14, 2008 3:35 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Also, you can read Ukrainian? [sighs] That is *so* cool.

 
At March 14, 2008 4:46 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

You intimidate me. I'm doing a presentation on cataloging foreign languages and foreign scripts on Tuesday. Do you want to come be my visual aid?

 
At March 14, 2008 6:12 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Yellow - Well, it's nice to know I'm digitally fascinating.

Ambrosia - I will never understand how people are intimidated by me. I'm not intimidated by me and I know myself best of all, right? So why should anyone else be intimidated by me? (Unless it's because of my flawless logic.)

Also, I'm pretty sure you can see my Ukrainian and raise me Armenian, so don't even talk. (Also also, Ukrainian, Russian and Belorussian share a high lexical similarity so it's sort of like buy one, get two free.)

Mr. Fob - Of course I'll come!

 
At March 17, 2008 10:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rock on. I think people should fear librarians, and thank their lucky stars that most librarians use their powers for good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home