s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Holier than thou

Monday, June 23, 2008

Holier than thou

Since I avoid eggs, milk, and meat, some people have erroneously concluded that I'm vegan. Actually, I'm allergic to eggs, sensitive to dairy, and I don't like most types of meat. Plus, I can't eat corn or potatoes, which doesn't fit under the "vegan" label at all.

Of course, there's no fun in giving up foods without drawing some sense of moral superiority from it, so I set about to figure out some sort of politically correct reason not to eat corn or potatoes.

Potatoes and corn are both new world foods, so I decided that the next time someone offered me, say, tater tots, I would give them an icy stare and say "In protest of the historical treatment of the indigenous population of the Americas, I don't eat new world foods." (Just to be clear, for those who don't know me well, I would never actually do this. I just think it's a funny idea. The crazy thing is if you said this kind of thing in somewhere like Chaimpaign-Urbana, they'd take you completely seriously.)

Of course, I'll also have to avoid tomatoes, in order to properly complete the new world trifecta, but it seems like a small price to pay. (Plus, in light of the recent salmonella outbreak, I'm temporarily off tomatoes, anyway.)

What I really need, though, is a name for this new type of dietary restriction. Any suggestions?

15 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 2:11 PM, Blogger Zillah said...

well, you could call it "colonialism", though really it's anti-colonialism, but that's too long. or indigenism, but, once again, that's the opposite. irrindigenism?

sanctity? righteousness? edward said?

 
At June 23, 2008 2:23 PM, Blogger Braden said...

"According to the FDA, 'types of tomatoes not linked to any illnesses are cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and tomatoes with the vine still attached.'"

(Cite)

Tomatoes on the vine are almost always much tastier anyway.

 
At June 23, 2008 2:51 PM, Blogger alea said...

Three options:

"Sorry, I don't eat Incan."

"I'm an east-of-30er."

Or, you could just call yourself a terra antiguan. Or just antiguan.

 
At June 23, 2008 3:28 PM, Blogger Braden said...

Oooh, "antiguan" is *awesome*.

 
At June 23, 2008 3:50 PM, Blogger JB said...

Would you have to give up cane sugar?

 
At June 23, 2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Ooh, I think alea wins. I can totally see someone saying "I'm a terra antiguan" with a withering glare.

jb - I don't know. I hope not, because between corn syrup and sugar, that would eliminate almost all sweeteners.

 
At June 23, 2008 4:11 PM, Blogger Braden said...

"Around the eighth century A.D., Arabs introduced sugar to the Mediterranean, Mesopotamia, Egypt, North Africa, and Spain. By the tenth century, sources state, there was no village in Mesopotamia that didn't grow sugar cane.[2] It was among the early crops brought to the Americas by Spaniards."

(Cite)

Awesomely, though, you can also buy beet sugar from heath food suppliers.

 
At June 23, 2008 4:23 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

You'll have to give up squash too.

 
At June 23, 2008 8:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Peppers probably wouldn't be too hard, but you mustn't forget that chocolate (well, cocoa) also originated in the Americas. Ready to give that up too? :)

 
At June 24, 2008 2:17 PM, Blogger Katya said...

mr. fob & lj -- Hmm. Now that may be asking too much. (On both counts, surprisingly.) I wonder if corn and potatoes have anything else in common . . .

 
At June 24, 2008 2:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They both share features named after body parts? (Ear of corn, eyes of potatoes.) They're both part of state nicknames/slogans? ("Famous Potatoes," "Cornhusker State.") This would also rule out dairy (but you've already done that [Wisconsin is "America's Dairyland"]), peaches (Georgia), and sunflowers (Kansas). Not to mention beaver and pelican. (I'm debating if New Jersey as the "Garden State" would rule out garden produce.)

 
At June 24, 2008 2:56 PM, Blogger Katya said...

And "The Beehive State" would mean no honey. :(

 
At June 25, 2008 6:14 PM, Blogger Becca said...

I don't know what to call it, but if you figure it out, I want to make up flyers and hand them out to people on the street.

 
At June 26, 2008 1:29 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

The problem I have with your argument is that maybe you should eat the indigenous foods and avoid the colonializers like lemons and parsley. So maybe you should be pro-colonialism---but that probably wouldn't go over as well.

 
At July 02, 2008 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No cane sugar, but what about guava? And for the record, I like terra antiguan, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home