s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: D is for . . . Dink!

Monday, November 10, 2008

D is for . . . Dink!

When my brother was a baby, one of our uncles, M., used to play a game with him where M. would put his finger up to my brother's nose and then give it a gentle poke while saying "Dink!" (We could pretend that this was an important exercise in developing eye coordination and an understanding of cause and effect, but the more likely truth is that we tend towards temptingly squishy noses in my family. Also, I have no idea why "Dink" is the appropriate sound when poking someone's nose. It just sounded right.)

Later, this game expanded so that our uncle would wave his finger up and down saying "nimi nimi nimi nimi . . ." getting closer and closer to my brother's nose until until — "Dink!"

Still later, when my brother had more head coordination, my uncle would say "nimi nimi nimi nimi . . ." then bring his finger almost to my brother's nose, until my brother would bounce his head forward to get the "Dink!" (Because, of course, you want a dink on the nose, for some reason.)

When he learned to walk, the "nimi nimis" would start from the other side of the room, and my brother would have to race across the room to get the "Dink!"

I don't remember why the "Dink!" game stopped. Perhaps he got too old for it or maybe it was around the time my uncle moved, so we didn't see him quite as often. Regardless, it's one of those things that seems perfectly normal and common at one point in your life, and then outgrow it and can forget it ever happened.

3 Comments:

At November 10, 2008 10:06 PM, Blogger Trevor Christensen said...

Next post about me needs to be about my extreme manliness and how I can lift many units of weight.

 
At November 11, 2008 8:00 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I feel this is tragic, but can't assure myself that I am correct in that assessment. All things cannot last forever, after all. Nor should they?

 
At November 14, 2008 12:17 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Trevor - Ha! OK, I'll try. (It doesn't help that in my mind you're perpetually 3 years old.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home