s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Tuesday Thingers

Friday, December 05, 2008

Tuesday Thingers

There's a blogger called The Boston Bibliophile who posts a LibraryThing-related question every week and asks her readers to respond. This was last Tuesday's question:

What's the most popular book in your library?

The most popular book on the entire site is is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, which I own, so that's my answer.

Have you read it?

My first thought was "Yes, of course!" (Not only have I read it, but I used to re-read all the books before each new book came out, so I've actually read it several times.) However, I then remembered that LibraryThing combines all translations of a book into one "work," so my foreign-language copies of the first Harry Potter book also count as the most popular book on LibraryThing. Since I haven't actually read my copies of Hali Bote: shen me de mo fa shi or Hari Potter a Maen yr Athronedd, I guess those count. (I'll let you figure out the languages and give you the clue that one is transliterated.)

What did you think?

I liked it and, on rereading it, was amazed at some of the early details she put in that tied in with later sequels.

How many users have it?

There are 37,483 copies besides mine.

8 Comments:

At December 05, 2008 5:20 PM, Blogger Redoubt said...

Chinese and Welsh? (if not Welsh, then Gaelic)

 
At December 09, 2008 2:16 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Good job! I was going to make you specify traditional or simplified Chinese characters, but then I realized you can't tell, in transliteration. (Traditional, for what it's worth.)

 
At December 11, 2008 1:03 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Yeah. I have that one too. Phooey.

(But not a Welsh copy.)

Note: i will not be answering the followup question

 
At December 16, 2008 4:18 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

It just occurred to me that much better meme would be, say, your fifth most popular book.

(Is there a way to arrange my library by book popularity?)

 
At December 16, 2008 6:02 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Th. - Go to "Your library" and click on the column that says "shared" and it should sort your books by popularity. (Clicking on it again will reverse the sort order, so the most obscure ones come to the top.)

If you don't have a column that says "shared," pick a different viewing style or add that column to your default viewing style.

(If you count my three "Sorcerer's Stones" as a tie, my 5th most popular book is "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.")

 
At December 17, 2008 2:44 PM, Blogger Redoubt said...

Also: *smug smile* Well I have Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! How many Americans can say that!

/pretention

 
At December 17, 2008 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chinese & Welsh?

 
At December 17, 2008 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. The first commenter said that. Yay, I was right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home