s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Poem, rhyme, stanza, foot

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Poem, rhyme, stanza, foot

The other day, I was driving home from work and half-listening to NPR when I heard the speaker mention something about a "poetry ontology." (In information science, an ontology is a map of relationships between major concepts in a subject area.)

"How interesting!" I thought, "Poetry seems like an unlikely subject for an ontology, but that could be really fascinating."

And then I realized Andrei Codrescu's (who has a strong Romanian accent) was actually talking about a "poetry anthology."

(But I'm still thinking about poetry ontologies.)

3 Comments:

At April 08, 2009 6:02 PM, Blogger Rachel Helps said...

As Henry Green would agree, sometimes miscommunications are the most interesting kind.

 
At April 10, 2009 12:55 AM, Blogger Katie said...

That. Is. Awesome.

 
At April 19, 2009 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is perhaps the best definition of ontology that I've ever read. I'm going to post that at my workstation when we start to rebuild our taxonomy--I mean, move from a taxonomy to an ontology, as Ilmer likes to say. Oh, this summer is going to be fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home