s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: In which I do the mocking, in my turn

Monday, July 06, 2009

In which I do the mocking, in my turn

[Necessary background info: (1) I am the primary chorister. (2)  There is a family in the ward whose mother is German, so the kids speak it a little, but I get the impression they're not fully bilingual.]

Yesterday was the first Sunday of the month, so it was time to teach my primary kids a new song. When I'm teaching a new song, one of the first things I like to do is go over any of the hard or unusual words and explain what they mean (and sometimes we act them out or do silly things so we can remember them). When I got to the word "proclaim," I went to the podium and made a loud announcement, and then explained that "to proclaim" is kind of like "to announce."

One of my kids said "I proclaim that we must all now speak German!" I laughed and said that was a good example of a proclamation and started to go on to the next word. "Nein, nein!" he interrupted, "Auf deutsch!"

I gave him my best "Oh, honey, you have no idea" look and said: "Meinetwegen ist das keine gute Ahnung weil est gibt nur du und ich die sprechen können. Stimmt?"*

He looked stunned and didn't say anything, but his teacher laughed at him (and we continued in English).

See here for a previous episode of "Katya smacks down a 10-year-old."
____________________
*"In my opinion, that's not a good idea because there's only you and I that can speak [it]. Do you agree?" (If there be faults, they are the faults of Katya not having studied German in over nine years.)

6 Comments:

At July 07, 2009 2:06 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Heh heh.

Way to show him up.

 
At July 07, 2009 7:03 PM, Blogger Redoubt said...

yessssss.

 
At July 07, 2009 9:24 PM, Blogger Mary Bliss said...

Oh, fun! I do wish I'd been there for that.

 
At July 07, 2009 11:13 PM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

In a fight between Katya and any 10-year-old, I'd always put my money on Katya.

Unless it's Guitar Hero, which I've never actually seen Katya play.

 
At July 09, 2009 4:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I anxiously look forward to future episodes of Katya Smacks Down a 10-Year-Old. I'm a big fan.

 
At July 09, 2009 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my dear. I love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home