s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: A song about a neoimpressionist painter

Monday, January 29, 2007

A song about a neoimpressionist painter

When I was just a little girl,
I and my mother went to Paris.
"Who made that painting? Who did those . . . dots?"
Here's what she said to me:

"Georges Seurat, Seurat.
Whatever you see, you see."
"The 'point' is unclear to me."
"Georges Seurat, Seurat."


[The authenticity of this song and its use as a pedagogical tool is somewhat comprimised by the fact that Seurat's most famous painting, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, is actually to be found in Chicago, at the Art Institute Thereof. There are, however, lesser works by Seurat at the Musées d'Orsay and Picasso, which minimizes the necessary suspension of disbelief.]

7 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 8:02 AM, Blogger Petra said...

You're funny. Can we be friends?

 
At January 29, 2007 1:45 PM, Blogger DP said...

I have long been a silent observer of your blog, but that was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, and I had to say so.

In fact, it made me not only laugh, but sing out loud, upon reading it.

Thanks.

 
At January 29, 2007 9:21 PM, Blogger Katya said...

petra - Yes, but I feel obliged to point out to you that your avatar is Renoir, not Seurat.

dp - Ooh! A lurker bites the dust! Excellent! Glad to give you a chance to channel your inner Doris Day. :)

 
At February 01, 2007 8:07 PM, Blogger Thirdmango said...

Funny stuff. You know, as I'm blog surfing I think you are officially the most linked to blog ever. Good work on that. :)

 
At February 05, 2007 2:35 AM, Blogger Petra said...

Uh oh. You mean you can't write a song about Renoir?

 
At February 05, 2007 9:15 PM, Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

Ooh. I bet you could make a nice villanelle about Manet...

 
At February 07, 2007 1:22 PM, Blogger Katya said...

3M - Actually, I'd bet that Ben Christensen's got me beat. But maybe it depends on the neighborhood you're in.

petra - Um, nothing's coming to mind.

tb - I actually do have a song about Monet and Manet, but it's not a villanelle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home