s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Classes, classes everywhere

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Classes, classes everywhere

One of the perks of my new position is that I get to take classes for free. Unfortunately, I, the perpetual student, can’t think of any classes I want to take. Part of this is that I’ve just wrapped up my master’s degree, moved across (the rest of) the country, and started a new job (not to mention losing my best friend), so I’m a bit worn out. The other part is that the university where I now work is relatively small, compared with BYU and the U of I, and there just aren’t a lot of classes offered that I’m particularly interested in.

One thing I do want to take is a beginning stats class, because I think it would be helpful for my work and any research I want to pursue. However, I don’t know that I really want to spend three hours a week after work hanging out with whiney undergrads. I might do better to just teach myself from a book or take an independent study class through BYU.

If I wasn’t all tired out and if I could take free classes at BYU, this is what I’d want to take:

Chin 102, 201, etc.

Mus 116R, 160R (organ), 166*

Rus 321, 322 (especially if taught by Grant Maxovich)

VAStu 109, 330R

Welsh 102

And maybe also:

ASL 101, 102, etc. (if it didn’t have such a cheesy reputation)

Ling 427, 521, 535 (or maybe I’d just go ahead and start a 2nd master’s)

___________________
*Actually, if I’m serous about this, there are independent study organ certification classes I should look into, plus an annual organ workshop. Hmm . . .

7 Comments:

At August 23, 2007 1:04 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Those sound really fun. I'd join you for the Chinese and the ASL. I'd also like to do Romanian, Arabic, Farsi, and Japanese. And Norwegian and Navajo.

 
At August 23, 2007 7:54 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

You could branch out a little too you know. Didn't you ever want to do film or art or photography or maybe the ever-popular Computational Fluid Dynamics? Personally, I think independent study is kind of pointless when you have access to a library. But I guess if you were doing languages, graded papers would serve to your advantage.

 
At August 23, 2007 10:02 PM, Blogger Katya said...

SC - There are things that I enjoy without wanting to study them formally in a class. I like film, but I'd rather talk to Melyngoch and Eotena about films than take a film class. As for art, I've got two V(isual)A(rts)Stu(dio) classes listed. You'll also notice that French, German and Swedish aren't listed but that's not because I don't want to work on those, it's because I just want to work on reading comprehension in those languages (at different levels, obviously), and I can do that on my own.

Although, now that you mention it, computational fluid dynamics is sounding tempting. (I remember first learning about (highly simplified) fluid dynamics in Phscs 221 and walking around campus afterwards thinking that the students streaming on the sidewalk were just like a fluid . . . I am such a nerd. :D )

 
At August 24, 2007 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could take a semester off, give yourself a break...Even lifetime students need a breather now and then to simply be. I recommend Emerson and Thoreau; you're in country that goes with their writings well.

 
At August 27, 2007 12:51 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Jenn - "Break"? What is this "break" you speak of? (No worries, I'm not taking anything this semester, and maybe not next semester, either.)

 
At September 19, 2007 11:26 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I've been meaning to say, if ASL is "cheesy", maybe you should do BL instead.

 
At September 19, 2007 11:29 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Oh, whoops: BL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home