s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Learning Swedish, part 5 (the end of Morgan)

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Learning Swedish, part 5 (the end of Morgan)

“Morgan”, sade hon, “i dag är det din dag att vara ärlig.”
(“Morgan,” she said, “Today it is your day to be honest.”)

“Vad betyder ärlig?” frågade Morgan.
(“What does honest mean?” asked Morgan.)

“Ärlig betyder att den som har slagit omkull apelsinjuicen berättar för mig vad han gjorde.
(“Honest means that whoever knocked over the apple juice says to me what he did.)

Han säger inte att någon annan gjorde det.”
(He doesn’t says that someone else did it.”)

“Okej, det var jag som slog omkull juicen”, sade Morgan. ”Är jag ärlig nu?”
(“OK, I knocked over the juice,” said Morgan. “Am I honest now?”)

“Ja”, sade mamma. “Du är ärlig nu, Morgan. Jag är stolt över dig.”
(“Yes,” said Mom. “You are honest now, Morgan. I’m proud of you.”)


Thus ends the article from the Friend, and the fact that it took me almost two months to translate just a few sentences does not bode well. (And in just a few weeks, Melyngoch – or should we say Brandgul – will be learning Swedish in the MTC and outstripping my meager knowledge of the language by leaps and bounds.)

Nevertheless, I will persevere. And now I have to decide what I’m going to read next. I could add to my foreign-language Harry Potter collection by acquiring Harry Potter och De Vises Sten. I could also go for a more authentic experience by finding some untranslated Astrid Lindgren, maybe Pippi Långstrump or Ronja rövardotter.

Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

At June 22, 2007 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still surprised at how easy that is to understand (of course, it helps that it's pretty basic vocabulary and that you've included the translations). It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to pick up if you've got a good grasp on Germanic languages.

I have no suggestions for you, though.

 
At June 23, 2007 12:11 PM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

How bout the screenplay for The Seventh Seal?

 
At June 28, 2007 12:31 AM, Blogger Katie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At June 28, 2007 1:07 AM, Blogger Katya said...

stornessa - Thanks for delurking! I will rely on you to correct all of my errors in Swedish. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home