s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: a favorite scene from a favorite movie, recreated from memory

Monday, July 07, 2008

a favorite scene from a favorite movie, recreated from memory

This movie just came up in my NetFlix queue. I watched it twice last week and I could watch it again right now. (Really, I just need to buy it.)

--------------------------------------------------

A: I will warn the de Tournay family. There's no use trying to stop me.

P: I have no intention of stoppin' you. Do you think you could get in to the temple prison to see the count . . . tonight?

A: I suppose so. Why?

P: I [dramatic pause] . . . have a plan.

A: Oh. You have a plan. You, who are practically incapable of any thought entering into your head which is not trivial! Really, P----, this is serious!

P: So am I. Deadly serious. We must rescue the de Tournay family without risking you. You can be far more useful to us where you are.

A: Useful to "us"? What on earth are you talking about?

P: You must swear, by all you hold sacred, you will not repeat what I am about to tell you to anyone—not even M---------!

A: Really, P----!

P: Do you swear?

A: Very well.

P: [Pulls out a signet ring and shows it to him] Do you recognize that symbol?

A: It looks like a small flower of some sort . . .

P: Precisely. It is a S------ P--------.

[A. looks shocked]


--------------------------------------------------


I edited out some names which made it too easy to guess and the dialogue may not be exactly right because, like I said, I wrote it down from memory. I think it's pretty close, though. Anyone else recognize it?

15 Comments:

At July 07, 2008 6:37 PM, Blogger Zillah said...

you forgot to cue the theme music after the shocked look on A's face.

one of my favorite movies ever.

 
At July 07, 2008 7:27 PM, Blogger Rachel Helps said...

does it have to do with a certain color flower?

 
At July 07, 2008 7:42 PM, Blogger Katya said...

z - you forgot to cue the theme music after the shocked look on A's face.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out exaclty how to do that, in text. (In addition to quoting entire scenes from memory, I can also hum the entire soundtrack.)

w - Sink me, I think it does!

 
At July 07, 2008 7:44 PM, Blogger Amy Grigg said...

I love that movie! It's one of the few I loved enough to buy!

 
At July 07, 2008 8:48 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Posh, Katya!

Remember that one time when we bonded over the fact that every girl is in love with him? Him and Dickon. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and then you moved away forever.

Sigh. At least we still have those two.

 
At July 07, 2008 9:39 PM, Blogger Eris said...

I so need to watch that movie. Immediately.

 
At July 07, 2008 9:52 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Sink me, how I, too, adore this movie. Which brings to mind the question--why don't I know it?

Oh yes. It's because I've sought it here and sought it there, but never found it anywhere! (Of course, it's been a while since I looked online)

 
At July 08, 2008 12:50 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I'm ashamed it took me all the way to the small flower of some sort.

 
At July 08, 2008 2:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oooo Oooo, I know what it is too, and I guessed it about 1/3 of the way into the dialogue. But I've only seen it once, so I guess I should watch it again sometime.

 
At July 08, 2008 3:53 AM, Blogger Petra said...

I know, I know! But I've only seen the movie once and didn't like it all that much...I will be forever loyal to the book instead. (Now that is one of my favorites.)

 
At July 08, 2008 1:09 PM, Blogger Wiglaf said...

Is that the version with Ian McKellan

 
At July 08, 2008 7:46 PM, Blogger Katya said...

uffish - Remember that one time when we bonded over the fact that every girl is in love with him? Him and Dickon. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship, and then you moved away forever.

We'll call that ONE MORE reason I need to move back to Utah. *sigh*

confuzzled - It's highly available on Amazon, apparently.

petra - It's been a while since I read the book, although I remember liking it, too. (But the story's pretty different.) I guess I should reread it.

Logan - Yep!

 
At July 10, 2008 9:45 AM, Blogger Olympus said...

Yeah, I guessed it too ... I saw the first half in high school and wasn't able to sit down and watch the entire thing until last year. I don't know what took me so long. It's amazing.

 
At July 10, 2008 8:34 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I didn't get it, but in my defense, I only saw about half of it a couple years ago.

 
At July 11, 2008 12:54 PM, Blogger Dan Cummings said...

"Sir Percibel Blakeney, Baronette...

They seek him here, they seek him there
Those "Frenches" seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven, or is he in... [dramatic pause for propriety] hell [gasp]
That damned, elusive, p_________..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home