s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: States I've visited

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

States I've visited

The problem with saying where you've been is deciding what "counts." Some people don't get to travel much, so they have to count layovers and that little section of I-15 that goes through Arizona. (Can you even get to the rest of Arizona from it?) Other people (*cough*Petra*cough*) have been so many places that they don't bother to count it unless they were almost arrested for being a spy or something equally significant.

In the interest of accommodating both extremes (and all groups in between), I have arranged the states (and one province) visited from most to least defensible. Start counting at the top and stop when you reach a group which offends your sensibilities. (I'll be interested to see what number everyone gets.)

Lived in:
Illinois
Maine
Utah

Spent multiple days in:
Alabama
California
Indiana
Manitoba
Maryland
Massachusetts
North Carolina
Ohio
Tennessee
Washington, D.C.

Spent at least one night in:
Iowa
Nevada
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New York
Wyoming

Spent less than one day in:
Georgia
Kentucky

Drove through:
Arizona
Virginia
Pennsylvania
West Virginia

Had a layover in:
Colorado
Michegan
Minnesota

Never visited:
Alaska
Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Hawaii
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
or anywhere else

14 Comments:

At December 10, 2008 12:21 AM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

I got fifty. I'm super open-minded that way.

 
At December 10, 2008 12:44 AM, Blogger Ginsberg said...

Wow, I've lived in two of the states you've never visited. Good to see Manitoba there on the list. Yeah Winnipeg.

 
At December 10, 2008 2:10 AM, Blogger Petra said...

I count it if you stopped in the place and did/saw something significant. (Which may or may not be being arrested for spying.) That means I think I'd draw your cutoff line between "spent less than one day in" and "drove through," unless you happened to stop while driving and see at least one landmark.

Oh, and use your time in New England to bone up on those tiny states. I mean, Vermont? It's like a, what, ten minute drive away?

 
At December 10, 2008 4:34 AM, Blogger Trevor Christensen said...

You've never been to Idaho?

 
At December 10, 2008 8:04 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Mr. Fob - Interesting, because there are actually fifty-two places listed. (50 states + 1 province + the District of Columbia.) Which two are you not counting?

Petra - I broke out the Kentucky / Georgia category with you in mind, because I remembered your "something significant" litmus test. So those two pass your test, but the "drove throughs" don't.

Trevor - I know! Utahns don't even consider it a separate state, really . . .

 
At December 10, 2008 8:08 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Petra - Of course, ironically some of the states I spent the night in may not pass your test, if I didn't do anything "significant" in them besides find a hotel after a day's driving. (Particularly, Nebraska, New York, and Wyoming may fall off the list.)

And yes, I do need to visit Vermont while I'm here. Maybe I can go visit the King Arthur Flour company . . .

 
At December 10, 2008 9:35 AM, Blogger Trueblat said...

Hey, that little section of I-15 in AZ includes Littlefield. One may want to stop there... um, I'll find a reason, other than Utah and Nevada don't want it, and Arizona doesn't care about it, which means it's a great place for illegal things to happen.

What's sad is that as missionaries, we had better maps and knew where everyone lived much better than the government, electrical services, fire department, etc.

 
At December 10, 2008 10:01 AM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

I only count states. What is this Ma-ni-to-ba you speak of? And Washington, D.C.? Isn't that covered by Maryland?

 
At December 10, 2008 12:27 PM, Blogger Petra said...

Nothing besides spend the night there? Did you, I don't know, drive around the city first looking for interesting things? Because I count, say, Bangkok when I've really only spent one night there, for the above reason. If it was just being in a hotel room, though, I don't know if I can count it.

 
At December 10, 2008 2:57 PM, Blogger Wiglaf said...

Whoa Katya! You're missing time in, like, most of the cool states. (New Mexico, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana)

 
At December 11, 2008 1:01 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Wait. I thought France was a state....

 
At December 11, 2008 7:58 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Petra - After spending an entire day driving across Nebraska, I have no great desire to explore the 7 wonders of Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Th. - No, but I've never been to France, anyway.

 
At December 15, 2008 10:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I draw the line between layovers and drove through. Unless you got out of the airport. You can see a good deal of the state by driving through it.

 
At December 15, 2008 4:35 PM, Blogger Thirdmango said...

I love the stretch of I15 in arizona cause like you said you really can't get to other parts of arizona from it.

Oh and I've been to 39 states, a week from today I'll be at 40.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home