s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: 7 things I love about working at a university

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

7 things I love about working at a university

1. Free access to academic databases. (What would I do without the online OED?)

2. Access to a university library, complete with university ILL privileges, plus ridiculously long checkout times for books.

3. Free access to online magazines and journals (in case I suddenly need to do research).

4. A working environment where, by definition, education is valued.

5. Free tuition (should I ever decide to take advantage of that).

6. I can go to the post office on my lunch break, because it's just a five minute walk away.

7. Ditto for the ATM. (And I can go to my actual credit union, as well, but that's more of a 15-minute walk.)

7 Comments:

At May 05, 2009 7:09 PM, Blogger Rachel Helps said...

man, I really want to work at a university when I grow up.

 
At May 06, 2009 12:18 AM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

Those are all reasons I want to work at a university library. Sadly, Provo is not the best place for an ex-Mormon to look for a university job.

 
At May 06, 2009 12:39 AM, Blogger Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

What university are you working at?

 
At May 06, 2009 7:53 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Mr. Fob - Hmm. There's always UVU, right?

Sam - I work at a university in Maine. I'm not interested in narrowing it down more than that. :)

 
At May 06, 2009 12:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Would you say, then, that you have a "license to ILL"?

 
At May 06, 2009 10:42 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't know if the last 2 actually have to do with working at a university though...

 
At May 07, 2009 8:05 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Peter - Nice. :)

Newt - Many universities have on-campus post office and ATM facilities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home