s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: 7 things I loved about the new Star Trek movie

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

7 things I loved about the new Star Trek movie

That the people who parachuted down to the drill platform on Vulcan were Kirk, Sulu . . . and a nameless guy in a red suit who promptly died.

The way Chris Pine perfectly captured William Shatner's habit of slouching in the captain's chair.

The running gag about Uhura's first name.

Spock losing his cool.

That, for the first time, Kirk actually kind of made sense as a leader.

Simon Pegg as Scotty.

And while I agree that Chris Pine is hot, I actually thought that Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk) was cuter.

6 Comments:

At May 13, 2009 10:17 PM, Blogger Rachel Helps said...

hmmm I disagree with the Pine point... but yes the movie was cool wasn't it

 
At May 14, 2009 7:54 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Which Pine point?

 
At May 15, 2009 4:22 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I'm not denying George wasn't cute...but I still find Chris Pine hotter. (Although I didn't realize both actors were named Chris till I read this. Coincidence?)

Anyway, I also loved the utter casualness of Chris Pine's Kirk during the test. The apple, I thought, was a particularly good touch...

 
At May 16, 2009 10:25 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Well, you're both welcome to Chris P., and I'll keep Chris H. for myself. :)

Also, it turns out the apple was a reference to Star Trek II, where Kirk eats an apple as he talks about beating the Kobayashi Maru test. Cool, huh?

 
At May 27, 2009 10:50 PM, Blogger Ginsberg said...

Still haven't seen it yet. Everybody loves it and yet I'm still skeptical. If the movie references the Kobayashi Maru incident, it can't be all bad, though.

 
At May 28, 2009 1:54 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Dude, go see it already! It's not like it'll scar your retinas if it doesn't live up to your expectations. (And at least then you can have an informed dislike. ;) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home