s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Christmas carols: God rest ye merry, gentlemen

Friday, August 07, 2009

Christmas carols: God rest ye merry, gentlemen

I've been slacking off on these, but now that I have my new computer, I've no excuse. This week's carol is "God rest ye merry, gentlemen," a traditional English carol. While doing research for this carol, I realized for the first time that the title isn't [God rest ye] [merry gentlemen] (more or less "Rest, merry gentlement"), but [God rest ye merry] [gentlemen] (closer to "stay merry, gentlemen." What a difference a comma makes.

Sissel, 2007(?):



A version sung by Sissel, the Norwegian coloratura soprano. This isn't the most traditional arrangement, but I liked it the best of the vocal versions I heard.


Stu and Sniper, 2007:



An instrumental jazz duet on piano.


Unknown group, 2008:



A celtic arrangement. Go to about one minute in if you want to skip the introduction.


Bonus: Barenaked Ladies, 2007:

1 Comments:

At August 09, 2009 4:36 PM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

I heart heart heart Sissel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home