s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Christmas carols: I wonder as I wander

Friday, October 02, 2009

Christmas carols: I wonder as I wander

My apologies for the length of time I've gone without posting a one of these; I've been sick, of late, and haven't had the time or energy to research and compose a Christmas carol post.

This week's carol is "I wonder as I wander." It was first published in 1934 in a book called Songs of the Hill-Folk by a man who claimed it was a folk song he'd heard in North Carolina. However, he later admitted that some of the "folk songs" in the book were either partly or wholly his own invention. Either way, it's a nice song.

Alfie Boe, December 2007:



A tenor solo.


Satoshi Matsuyama, February 2006:



This video has me convinced that "I wonder as I wander" should only be performed on tenor sax.


Gruppo di Musica Contemporanea Steffani, December 2008:



This version sounds very modern to me. I'd love for someone who knows more about music to tell me what's going on.


Honorable Mention:

Duke University Vespers Ensemble (unaccompanied mixed choir), this harp solo (described as a traditional spiritual work with a touch of Jimi Hendrix) and Rezound (a bell choir).

1 Comments:

At October 05, 2009 10:56 AM, Blogger Becca said...

Ooh, this is another one of my favorites!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home