s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Orange

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Orange

and navy blue are my school colors. In that order. Which I find somewhat disturbing. The navy blue, I’m fine with (although as a “spring” I shouldn’t be wearing it). On the other hand, I own no articles of orange clothing, which leaves me singularly unequipped to demonstrate school pride. Not only do I not think the color looks good on me, but if I were to walk around wearing orange, I’d be paranoid that I was attracting undue amounts of attention. Actually, this is unlikely. On any given day, between 1% and 2% of the student body is wearing bright orange. On a game day (such as today) that amount rises to as much as 1 in 5. On this campus, wearing orange is no more likely to draw attention than wearing blue at BYU. Which begs the question: if everyone wears orange, does it cease to be orange?

5 Comments:

At September 04, 2005 12:45 AM, Blogger Etelmik said...

Though less so than with slang, colors still are assigned meanings.
At your school, to wear orange by definition means someone is likely supporting the athletic program. That's the assigned communal definition.

I mean, colors being absolute? What nonsense. It's not like the color of white or green or whatever have a significance anywhere.... =0

 
At September 04, 2005 1:25 AM, Blogger erin said...

My high school colors were blue and orange. I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I own two orange shirts (not incredibly flashy orange), but I've become quite fond of wearing them with blue pants. They work nicely together.

 
At September 05, 2005 6:58 AM, Blogger Thirdmango said...

I was going to say my high school colors were orange and blue, but then I thought 1: she already knows this and 2: duchess just said the same thing. Blast it all. I lost that one.

 
At September 06, 2005 8:27 PM, Blogger Katya said...

The colors and insignia of a rival school might qualify as the new orange. They'd certainly attract attention.

 
At September 08, 2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Amy said...

An awful lot of people wear yellow around here. I have to say I prefer yellow and navy blue to orange and navy blue (ugh), but I feel almost as self-conscious in yellow as I do in orange. Except I look much better in yellow. I think.

I don't know if people are more willing to wear school attire around here than they were at BYU, or if it's just that yellow and blue stand out much more than white and blue and are therefore more noticeable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home