s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Tender Mercies

Friday, February 17, 2006

Tender Mercies

Yesterday it rained. It rained probably more than my home state gets in a year. It rained like someone should have been building an ark. It poured.

I was prepared. I had my warm, waterproof coat, even though it had been in the 50s that morning. I had my umbrella. And I had my fleece-lined waterproof boots.

Unbeknownst to me, the sole on my left boot had finally worn thin enough to crack. I discovered this after I had walked only a few yards towards home. I spent the rest of my trip paying undue attention to the topology of the street and sidewalk, in an effort to avoid the deeper puddles. It didn’t really matter; my sock was still soaked by the time I got to my building.

I don’t have another pair of waterproof shoes. I can’t buy another pair this weekend because my there probably isn’t a shoe store in town that carries my size. There are a couple of places online that I can order shoes, but it could take a week for them to be delivered. For now, I have patched the hole with duct tape, but I have little faith in the measure as even a temporary waterproofing solution.

This morning’s temperature was thirty degrees colder than yesterday’s high, and twelve degrees colder than that with the windchill. But the ground was dry, and we aren’t expected to get much rain or snow in the next week. Hence the title of this post.

4 Comments:

At February 17, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

You could try some silicone caulking. If your shoe is clean and you fill the hole from the inside and outside of your shoe, you might luck out.

 
At February 17, 2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Not to be depressing, but nothing will work. Nothing. Once a shoe makes that decision, your socks will always be wet. I am sorry. But that's the way it is.

Been there.

 
At February 19, 2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The other idea would be to get your shoes resoled. My companions had shoes that did broke and were able to have them fixed through just such a drastic measure.

 
At February 20, 2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

I vote you just buy some new shoes, mostly because I hear someone say "silicone caulking" and my brain just goes LA LA LA LA LA.

Besides, it's an opportunity to buy shoes. (

(Look at that, you doubters, I'm female after all.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home