s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: I look like a boy

Sunday, January 15, 2006

I look like a boy

This was the conclusion I came to yesterday morning as I went to check out of my hotel. I was riding the elevator down to the lobby, and it stopped at the second floor, where a couple of maids were waiting with a laundry cart. It would have been a bit cramped with the three of us and the cart, so the one maid says to the other maid (who can’t see me): “We can’t go. There’s a gentleman there.” And turns to look back at me, and pauses, and suddenly says “I mean a lady! Sorry!” And the elevator doors close.

If I still had my long, curly locks, this would not have troubled me at all. I would have called it an odd slip of the tongue and not thought anything more about it. But my hair is short now. Really short. And apparently a woman in Cheyenne thinks I look like a boy.

My features are reasonably feminine. Certainly more so than my brother’s. (We used to look a lot alike when he was younger, but the hulking man-child turns more into man than child every time I see him. If this keeps up, his chin and brow will thicken into Neanderthal proportions.)

I am short. If I’m a boy, then I probably have a Napoleon complex. (Bonaparte, not Dynamite.)

I am petite. I’m not Laulau, but I’m also not one of those hippos from Fantasia. And even if I’m wearing a loose comfortable pair of jeans and a hoodie, I think that I still have more curves than a boy!

Probably I should have been wearing makeup. (First thing in the morning, in a random hotel, in the middle of a three day road trip. Right.) Or maybe I should start dressing like Eleka. Or Arwen.

5 Comments:

At January 16, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I got a haircut too. I decided to try to leave it long on the top. My friend who cut it insisted on putting some pomade in it. “It looks soooo hot, now you’ll get lots dates!” Then she stopped herself, embarrassed. I thought it was funny. Anyway, at first glace, I thought I looked like I’d come straight out of high school or maybe a gap add (well the kind that goes from the neck up). Later a friend placed it. Ryan Secrest. I would rather look like a girl.

 
At January 16, 2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

To be fair...Wyoming is the world's largest producers of mullets. Maybe she just thought you had a mullet?

 
At January 17, 2006 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my friends had really, really short hair for a while and constantly got mistaken for a boy--also a ridiculous proposition, considering how curvy she is and how feminine she dresses. The worst one, though, was when the fellow doing confirmations in the temple said, "Brother K..."

 
At January 17, 2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

I don't think anyone in their right frame of mind could mistake you for a boy.

There are differences, you see...

...I'll explain when you're older.

 
At January 18, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

I don't think you look like a boy, but if you want to borrow my giant orange hoop earrings or my glittery black eye shadow just in case, let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home