s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Love is in the Air

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Love is in the Air

I know many people who have gotten engaged within the past two months. The list includes Toasteroven, a cousin of mine, two of Melyngoch’s old roommates, another Friend of Brick House and four couples in my ward (That’s four couples, not four people. That may not seem like a lot for a BYU ward, but my ward out here is pretty small. Plus the people who’ve gotten engaged to people not in the ward. Plus that one couple that keeps pretending to be engaged.)

The odd thing is that I’m genuinely happy for them, instead of being vaguely annoyed, which is my usual reaction. It’s not that I’m so bitter at being single. (I am acquainted with many gentlemen of the single persuasion, but am pining for none of them.) It’s that any new addition to club married is a potentially smug married, and I am oh, so tired of smug married folk.

Of course, one doesn’t actually have to be married to be smug. I have a cousin, two years younger, who spent much of our college years reminding me that she was definitely going to get married before me. (And graduate before me. And have kids before me. And have more kids than me. She’s a tad competitive.) In the two years since I’ve seen her, she has, indeed, made good on the first promise. And now that they've moved back to Provo, I will probably be spending some time with her in the next couple of weeks. I am not really looking forward to this.

I have half a hope that she’ll still be in some sort of dazed newlywed bliss, and will consequently leave me alone to talk to my aunts and uncles and other cousins. (Who will, doubtless, grill me on whether or not I’m dating anyone.)

But I’m very happy for my newly engaged friends, in large part because I know they’ve gone through prior breakups and heartache; they deserve to be happy. (And perhaps those who’ve been through a little more pain will turn out a little less smug. One can hope
.)

8 Comments:

At June 22, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

I work with your uncle's sister-in-law. Or something like that.

 
At June 22, 2006 2:23 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

And according to word verification, I am inchr than you. So there.

 
At June 22, 2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

I'm happy for all of the engaged people except the ones who are engaged to people they shouldn't be marrying.

Also, I'm going to go on a mission before you.

 
At June 22, 2006 9:50 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Oh, yeah. Marybeth. (Unless another of my uncle's sisters-in-law works at OPL or PPL.

How did my name come up?

 
At June 23, 2006 1:14 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

I think you should tell her that you always knew you'd be able to stay single longer than her. And get more grad school in than her.

 
At June 27, 2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I would comment but I am much too smug.

 
At June 28, 2006 12:27 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

Your name came up because she said she went to IU and I said I have a friend at IU named Melyngoch and she said she said Oh, I've heard of Melyngoch, she's good friends with my brother-in-law's niece, K******, and I said, Oh, you mean Katya, and she gave me a blank stare.

 
At June 28, 2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Yeah, she wouldn't know me as Katya. (Funny that I should come up through Melyngoch. Typical, actually.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home