s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: A dilemma concerning the very young

Monday, May 29, 2006

A dilemma concerning the very young

It seems like all of my married friends are having babies. I don’t know why I’m so surprised; when so many of my friends started getting married, I should have figured that this was around the corner. Still, there does seem to be an abundance of babies, this year. (We’ve already had one birth with at least four more anticipated.)

I live too far away to attend baby showers for most of them, but I’d still like to do something for the families. Having recently learned to knit, I thought I’d put my needles to good use in that direction. Unfortunately, I’ve run into a few problems.

Probably the biggest one is that I’m a slower knitter than I thought. I’ve been working on a baby blanket for
this baby for about the last five years, it seems. I decided to make a baby blanket because flat knitting is easier than circular knitting, because I wouldn’t need to follow a complicated pattern, and because I could knit it in small sections. I didn’t stop to think that a baby blanket might take a lot longer to knit than a hat or baby bootees, so there’s no way I can make blankets for everyone. (They’d all be in kindergarten by the time I finished.)

Baby bootees seem to be the answer. They’re small, practical and quick to knit – even I could probably make a pair in less than two weeks. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet learned how to make them. Socks, in general, require a greater degree of shaping than I’ve yet learned to do, plus they’re generally knit in the round. (I am making headway on learning to knit in the round. I finished one hat that looks lovely but doesn’t really fit. My second hat is going to fit OK, but only because I’ve already ripped it back twice.) What I’m trying to say is: I don’t want to be rushed into making (sup-bar) baby bootees in time for everyone’s babies, but if I go at my own pace, again, I might not learn how to make them until everyone’s kids are in kindergarten. (And baby bootees aren’t particularly practical once the baby starts walking.)

So. I think I have a few reasonable options. (1) I can just buy typical baby stuff for the babies, to the extent my budget permits. (2) I can finish the one baby blanket and not worry about the rest of it. (3) I can finish the one baby blanket and learn to make smaller projects at my own pace – probably no one’s going to get baby bootees, but I might finish hats or scarves for everyone by the time they’re all toddlers.

Opinions?

9 Comments:

At May 29, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Lynn Green said...

Go with the booties. Anyone would be proud to get a homemade gift. Otherwise, give dept store gift cards. That way they can get what they really need.

 
At May 29, 2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Becca said...

You could just go for knitting a burp rag... Not nearly so, er, meaningful as a blanket though :)

 
At May 30, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger erin said...

Maybe people should quit having kids. :)

 
At May 30, 2006 11:54 AM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

If you can find time, a handmade gift is nice. Otherwise, like Lynn said, gift cards are great. (If you were in state, I'd recommend giving a pack of diapers.)

 
At May 30, 2006 1:43 PM, Blogger Emily said...

There are bootie patterns for knitters with varying degrees of experience.

I would recommend finding a simple bootie pattern and figuring it out.

By the time you finish 5 sets, you'll be ready to tackle trickier stuff for the next wave of babies.

 
At May 30, 2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Oh, and I apologize for becoming pregnant at such a popular and thus inopportune time. After Britney Spears had one, it just seemed like the thing to do.

 
At May 31, 2006 2:23 PM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

Maybe you should make everyone leper bandages.

 
At May 31, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Becca said...

I want one of yours, Mel. If I ever felt sad or a little down, I'd just take out your leper bandage, and chuckle to myself. :)

 
At May 31, 2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Thanks for the advice, all.

Becca - Just plan your next pregnancy a little better.

Arwen - Maybe you should auction off your leper bandage and give the money to charity? (I can see Becca and me getting in to a bidding war!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home