s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Update

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Update

I am the queen of soy. Soy milk, soy ice cream, soy protein drink . . . I may even participate in a soy research project this summer.

It turns out that “no corn” means also “no cornmeal, corn starch or corn syrup.” As almost everything has corn syrup in it, I am forbidden . . . almost everything.

I am rediscovering the joys of fresh / organic food. Every week, I buy fresh fruit to go with my cereal and freshly baked whole wheat bread. I am even coming to enjoy shredded wheat, which is a taste I never thought I would acquire. I have either discovered a new world of flavor and texture or I’m beginning to forget what my “old” world was like and am consequently renormalizing my experiences. The latter is entirely possible.

My food worldview has adjusted from the typical Mormon “everything but X, Y and Z” to the much more restrictive “nothing but A, B, and C,” because I keep getting smacked down for thinking something’s OK to eat when it’s not. (I have no idea what was in that Chinese food last Friday, but it gave me a headache for a day and a half.) Even I, ever a creature who finds comfort in familiarity, am finding a diet consisting of about eight different meals to be a bit tiresome. (To quote one of my coworkers: “What do you eat?”)

I can’t decide if I miss dairy or corn syrup more. Being able to have corn syrup again would expand my diet a lot more than being able to have dairy again, but I do miss cheese . . . and cheesecake . . . and sour cream . . . and whipped cream . . . and ice cream . . .

8 Comments:

At June 04, 2006 4:30 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

Shredded wheat is great with peanut butter and honey. If you can't have those things, maybe you can find similar soy-peanut butter and soy honey.

 
At June 05, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

My friend's mom has the same allergies, but over the years she's come to find a lot of different and yummy things to eat. I can ask her for recipes if you're interested... It really sucks about the corn, though. Stupid America with all their corn syrup in everything.

 
At June 06, 2006 1:09 AM, Blogger Emily said...

About a week ago I took a taxi home from a festival that I worked at.

My taxi driver was a buff guy with tattoos and piercings.

And he spent the whole way home talking to me about how much he loves organic food. We totally talked recipes. I just really didn't expect that from him.

That'll teach me, I guess, for assuming that buff taxi drivers are ignorant about organic food.

It's good stuff.

 
At June 07, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

So does no dairy products mean none at all ever? Like not even a little bit of butter in brownies?

 
At June 07, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

What if you suck on a chuck of cheddar till it melts, then spit it out and brush?

 
At June 07, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Katya said...

SC - I can definitely have peanut butter, but I'm a bit of a honey snob. (My grandfather kept bees, and nothing really compares to the honey he used to give us.)

Miss Hass - If I have to stay on this diet for more than a few months, I'll definitely take you up on it.

Ambrosia - For the forseeable future, no dairy products means no dairy products. (It appears that the corn is worse than the dairy or potatoes, so if I were to cheat, it might be dairy-wards. But after what happened with the cheese fries . . . I'd rather pass.)

Theric - Um, no.

 
At June 07, 2006 10:31 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

That's a shame.

 
At June 08, 2006 3:26 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Wow. Hardcore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home