s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: A few of my favorite (typographic) things

Thursday, May 18, 2006

A few of my favorite (typographic) things

1. Optima's {Q} (I like that the tail doesn't cross into the counter.)

2.
Georgia's text figures (This is the font I use for this blog. I like other fonts better, but this one is commonly available.)

3.
Garamond's {P} (I like the open counter. Very elegant.)

4.
Goudy's {.} (I like that the dots in the {i}, {.}, {?}, etc. are actually diamond-shaped, not round. This is the typeface that the main text of the LDS scriptures is printed in, by the way.)

5. The double dagger {‡} in almost any serifed font. (I like the name and I just think it looks cool.)

6.
Mason, especially its {T}, even though the font is overused. (Once you know what it looks like, you'll start seeing it everywhere, especially in sci-fi/fantasy contexts.)

7.
Kabel's {g}. (Normally I prefer serifed to sans-serif typefaces, but I like the open tail of the {g}.)

8.
Codex’s {j}. (I have strong feelings about {j}. I don’t like ball finials. I love how the tail of this one just barely curves to the left. This is the font I want on my wedding announcement.)

(Inspired by
this.)

5 Comments:

At May 18, 2006 11:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have good taste in fonts, Katya. Optima, Garamond, and Goudy are some of my favorites.

I'm pretty sure the LDS scriptures are not Goudy, though. I just whipped mine out and compared to the example on Identifont, and I can see several differences (higher x-height, for one).

Also, I seem to remember hearing in one of my classes that the font for the scriptures was specially designed and had won an award or something. Of course, that's just hearsay at this point.

 
At May 19, 2006 8:47 AM, Blogger Katya said...

Perhaps I should have said it was something Goudy-esque. According to Board Question 193 (wherein someone actually called the Church publishing office) it's a modified form of WTC Goudy.

 
At May 19, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Garamond is my favorite out of those. For numbers, I like using Georgia, though.

 
At May 19, 2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the clarification, Katya. I can definitely see the similarity between the scripture font and WTC Goudy.

Embarrassingly enough, I even remember reading that Board question and answer.

 
At May 26, 2006 1:14 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Oh, you beautiful person! Lady Steed and I have often wondered what font the scriptures were printed it! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home