s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: The Monster Sweater

Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Monster Sweater

The Monster Sweater is better proportioned for a gorilla than a human, having sleeves which are much too long for its body.

However, no gorilla is likely to be able to wear it since it has a neckhole that is only 5 cm across. (10 cm is really the smallest sized opening you should ever try to fit a human head through, and even then only on rare occasions.)

The Monster Sweater is three colors, since I ran out of yarn on one of the sleeves and again on the collar. (But at least the sleeves are the same length, now. Even Monster Sweaters need limits.)

The Monster Sweater's picked up collar stitches are much too visible, but that's probably in part because the collar is a different color from the main part of the sweater. (The collar also looked much worse the first three times I knit it – including one time inside out – so I think I'm sticking with it as is.)

The yarn I used for The Monster Sweater was fraying in a lot of places, so there are little yarn-y ends hanging out on one of the sleeves, especially. (It could fall apart at any minute, really.)

I went up one needle size to cast off for the waist ribbing. It's really not stretchy enough; I should probably have gone up another size. (Or learned a more stretchy cast off. Are there any others?)

The raglans are very neat looking, but the sleeves are kind of at a wonky angle. I'm assuming this is because of the too-small neckhole, and not an issue with underlying technique.

One of my yarn joins is on the outside of the sleeve, because I forgot that the inside of the sleeve would become the outside when I rolled the cuff back. (And no, I didn't spit graft the new yarn, either. I used a square knot.)

It is my first sweater and I am excessively proud.

6 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 12:46 AM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

It sounds like you still did quite well. I'd be proud too. My sister's first scarf looked like a 4 foot acute triangle. You should post a picture of your creation

 
At February 19, 2007 1:47 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

I'm impressed.

 
At February 20, 2007 2:09 AM, Blogger Melyngoch said...

Does The Monster Sweater want A Wonky Leper Bandage to for a friend?

 
At February 20, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger Katya said...

sc - I'll have to see if I can find a friend with a digital camera to take a picture. Maybe even one of me "wearing" it.

'brozy - :)

Melyngoch - I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship . . .

 
At February 23, 2007 2:38 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

What. No picture?

 
At February 23, 2007 7:20 AM, Blogger Petra said...

Hey, I've got a Neon Pink Mile-Long Crooked Scarf you could wear with the Monster Sweater and Wonky Leper Bandage! Who's up for a menage a trois?

(PS: I know the accents, just don't feel like searching out the HTML.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home