s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Cat. & Reference: Same name, different book

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cat. & Reference: Same name, different book

I was thinking the other day about books which have the same name (or very similar names) but which are on completely different subjects. For fun, I've compiled a quiz with clues about six such pairs of literary works. Your job is to provide name of the books (or names, if they're slightly different) and the authors.

1. Gregor Samsa awakes to find himself transformed into an insect.

vs.

The history of the world, from the perspective of Greek and Roman mythology.

2. A strange man wrapped entirely in bandages arrives at an inn in West Sussex.

vs.

“I live rent-free in a building rented strictly to whites, in a section of the basement that was shut off and forgotten during the nineteenth century.”

3. Edna Pontellier, wife of a New Orleans business man, finds herself falling in love for the first time with a young man she meets at a summer resort.

vs.

Victims of a sleeping sickness epidemic regain consciousness when treated with the drug L-DOPA.

4. Guy Crouchback joins the British army in World War II.

vs.

Edward d'Eath attempts to find the lost heir to the throne of Ankh-Morpork.

5. The third book in the Dark Tower series.

vs.

"April is the cruellest month."

6. A 17th century argument for a social contract and an absolute sovereign.

vs.

The FBI investigates the suspicious death of Benjamin Sachs.

7 Comments:

At October 11, 2007 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Metamorphoses (although Kafka's work is in the singular)
2. Invisible?
3. The Awakening
4. Men At Arms
5. The Waste Land (Eliot! AUGH. I had to do a search for this one. I totally should have known this.)
6. Leviathan?

 
At October 11, 2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Th. said...

metamorphosis - invisible man - the awakening - ? - ? (I know I'll hate myself when I see the last two answers---I should totally know both.)

 
At October 11, 2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Petra said...

1. The Metamorphosis
2. The Invisible Man--though these aren't technically the same, are they? I thought the Ellison novel lacked "the." (Okay, for all intents and purposes, they're the same.)
3. The Awakening
4. No idea (but the second one's a Pratchett novel)
5. The Waste Land
6. The first one is Leviathan, so I assume the second one must be too...

 
At October 11, 2007 4:09 PM, Blogger Katya said...

People! I very clearly said the books had "the same name (or very similar names)," so quit calling me out on the differences!

 
At October 11, 2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Also, you're not giving me authors. (There's a serious lack of careful reading, today.)

 
At October 12, 2007 3:11 AM, Blogger Petra said...

Harumph. Fine:

1. Franz Kafka and Ovid
2. H.G. Wells and Ralph Ellison
3. Kate Chopin and Oliver Sacks
4. I don't know and Terry Pratchett
5. I don't know and T.S. Eliot
6. Thomas Hobbes and I don't know.

(Boy, this "I don't know" sure is prolific!)

See, I looked much smarter when I just did titles...

 
At October 13, 2007 8:43 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I can replace one I don't know with Stephen King.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home