s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: The human node

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The human node

I recently remarked to a colleague that I tend to be the "node" in a lot of relationships, in the sense that I pass information back and forth between people.

This makes sense in terms of my relationship with Melyngoch: She doesn't have the time or the technological ability to keep up on the whereabouts of all of her friends, nor does she have the time to write to everyone, so it makes sense that she'd need someone to keep her apprised of what's going on with all of our friends and to broadcast her news, as well.

However, I take this role in other situations, as well. I pass news between friends who are perfectly capable of directly contacting each other, but who don't always get around to it very often. I even pass a lot of information between my brother and my mom — and they still live in the same house!

Generally speaking, I have a brain that likes systems and mapping, and apparently that includes mapping information about people and systematically informing others of their current states.

3 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 9:35 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Good on you if you like that. I've been that way in some relationships, but it rather made me feel like Hermione when Ron and Harry are fighting: "I am NOT an owl!!"

 
At March 19, 2008 10:35 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

Speaking of which, could you say hi to Tolkien Boy for me? Thanks.

 
At March 20, 2008 6:46 PM, Blogger Katya said...

mr. fob - Will do.

Confuzzled - Well, I don't tend to pass messages between people who are actively fighting, just between people who have a hard time communicating, for whatever reasons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home