s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: States I've visited, annotated

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

States I've visited, annotated

I thought it might be useful to explain why I've visited the particular states I've visited, so I'm reposting the list, with annotations.

Lived in:
Illinois (grad school)
Maine (job)
Utah (grew up in Utah, plus college)

Spent multiple days in:
Alabama (business trip)
California (family reunion)
Indiana (visiting friends)
Manitoba (family reunion)
Maryland (visiting friends)
Massachusetts (business trip, fun, visiting friends)
North Carolina (visiting friends)
Ohio (visiting friends)
Tennessee (visiting friends)
Washington, D.C. (business trip)

Spent at least one night in:
Iowa (visiting family)
Nevada (traveling between Utah and California, fun)
Nebraska (road trip)
New Hampshire (visiting friends)
New York (traveling from Illinois to Maine)
Wyoming (traveling between Utah and Illinois)

Spent less than one day in:
Georgia (business trip)
Kentucky (temple trip)

Drove through:
Arizona (traveling between Utah and California, traveling between Utah and Nevada)
Virginia (traveling from North Carolina to Indiana)
Pennsylvania (traveling from Illinois to Maine)
West Virginia (traveling from North Carolina to Indiana)

Had a layover in:
Colorado (flying from Utah to Manitoba)
Michegan (flying from Illinois to Massachusetts)
Minnesota (don't rightly recall, but I know I've been there)

Several of you wondered why I'd never been to Idaho, Vermont, New Mexico, etc. The simple answer is that I've never been sent on a business trip to any of those places and, for the ones within driving distance, I've never had friends there I wanted to visit.

As you can see, I don't travel purely for fun much. (This is not to say that I don't sometimes do fun things on some of my other trips, just that it's not the main purpose for the trip.) In order to travel for fun, you have to have 2 out of these 3: time, money and health. If you have time and money, you can take things slowly enough that you don't get sick. If you have money and health, you can take quick trips to fabulous places. If you have time and health, you can find slow, cheap ways to travel.

I'm lucky to have 1/3. (Half of my yearly vacation time and $1,000 goes to my trip home for Christmas and traveling always makes me sick. ALWAYS. I have to schedule time off after getting back from a trip just so I can get better.) So, given the choice between spending money I don't have to go somewhere I'll be too sick to enjoy and staying home to enjoy a long weekend, I'll stay home, thanks.

2 Comments:

At December 16, 2008 8:52 PM, Blogger Mary Bliss said...

However, should you ever decide to visit your aunt and uncle in Oklahoma, please let me know and I'll take you out to lunch. :-)

 
At December 16, 2008 9:45 PM, Blogger Katya said...

It's a deal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home