s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: A Surprise Wedding

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Surprise Wedding

He had proposed the wedding through the children. How about a cake? he had suggested. How about new clothes? How about a party that you can each invite three friends to? How about throwing rice and everybody getting to walk down the aisle? How about, exclaimed the children, getting immediately into the spirit, the boys giving away Mommy and the girls giving away Dad? How about champagne? How about as many strawberries as anybody wants to eat, and how about dipping them in chocolate sauce? How about, said the third, mixing the wedding up in his mind with a birthday party, keeping the whole thing a secret from Mommy, and then jumping out and yelling, “Surprise, surprise!”

– Jane Smiley, Moo

[background on the quote: the parents were hippies who never got around to getting married]

What I really want is a surprise wedding. Not an elopement, where the wedding is a surprise to everyone else. I want it to be a surprise to me.

The engagement itself should probably not be a surprise. If it’s awkward enough to say no to a proposal (especially a public one) how much more awkward would it be to say no at a surprise wedding? (And would you wait until the actual vows to do so?)

Also, the fact that the wedding itself is to take place should probably also not be a surprise – if you think it’s hard to find the perfect ring without your lady being any the wiser, try finding the perfect dress and having her fitted without raising any suspicions! That said, why couldn’t the date be a surprise? Sort of like the reverse of a surprise birthday party – instead of knowing it was your birthday (but not knowing there was to be a party), you’d know that the wedding was approaching (but not know the exact date).

I can think of the following advantages to a surprise wedding:
  • I don’t have to make any of the plans. (I can’t really give the caterers details about my own surprise wedding, can I?)

  • I don’t have to be as nervous/sick/jittery, since I don’t have a specific date on which to pin the nerves(/sickness/jitters).

  • Um, OK, I can’t think of any more. But those two are huge, I promise.

Really, I want to marry someone who would actually throw me a surprise wedding. Or at least play along with the idea. ;)

4 Comments:

At October 04, 2005 4:45 PM, Blogger JB said...

I think it's a brilliant idea! The groom should be surprised to, though. The wedding's really just for the family anyway (or so they say), so why not let them take care of all the headaches and let you enjoy the party?

 
At October 09, 2005 9:52 PM, Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

What a great idea. It would be even better, though, if the wedding had already happened. Like two years ago. And it was a complete surprise for both.

 
At October 10, 2005 12:07 PM, Blogger JB said...

Wow, that's embarassing. I meant "the groom should be surprised too," not "to."

TB, you're freakin' hilarious.

 
At November 03, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger Soren said...

You know what I want? I want to wake up one morning, look behind me, and discover a woman sleeping there. I'll ask her where she came from, and she'll just giggle and say, "We got married six months ago, silly!" and think I'm just kidding because in those six months she will have found out that I often am seriously disoriented for about the first three minutes that I'm awake and out of bed. Of course, I will at best vaugely recall the event, and in my sleep-fogged state, I will stumble off the shower, chuckling because she thinks I'm joking but I'm really not. Right about the time she walks into the bathroom in her underwear to use the toilet while I'm shaving, I will decide that maybe this isn't such a bad thing after all, and then I'll go start making breakfast for two instead of one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home