s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Reprise

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Reprise

Goat cheese is quite good. Chocolate soymilk, also. (Though the latter is a bit strong for my tastes and should probably be diluted with regular soy milk.) Oh, and I’m probably OK to have butter and cream, on occasion.

I miss the egg salad I can get at Meijer and the whole wheat bread I can get at Strawberry Fields, but peanut butter is still in plentiful supply. (The soy protein drink I found says to mix it in a glass of milk. Hi there, if I’ve bothered to buy soy protein, I’m probably not going to be putting it in milk.)

I was talking to a vegan friend a few weeks ago about how expensive organic food is. I mentioned that even though basic staples like bread and milk are two or three times as expensive, I think I’m actually eating less food, overall. She pointed out that if the food I’m eating now is that much higher in nutrition, then I’m probably feeling full, sooner. (That, and it’s awfully hard to find snack food that isn’t forbidden. So, no snacking.)

Thanks again to the Curious Physics Minor for kindly thinking to bring soy crisps to the Board party.

4 Comments:

At July 06, 2006 2:29 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

I'm unclear as to how not eating pesticides = more nutrition. But that's just me. This organic thing....

Not that I am against organic labelling, but I'm not happy with how regulation of the term is being managed.

Buy local instead.

Hmm. Who invited this spoilsport here?

I like soy milk--of all sorts. Except all I really drink is water so I never actually enjoy it.

Don't worry. I drink water both organic and locally-grown.

 
At July 06, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Katya said...

th. - Well, in this case I'm using "organic" as a catch-all term that includes food that doesn't have a lot of preservatives in it. I agree, that an organic apple isn't likely to be much more nutritious than one grown with pesticides, but you have to admit that completely cutting out corn syrup from one's diet could have some significant health benefits.

 
At July 11, 2006 7:58 PM, Blogger eleka nahmen said...

*gasp* No sugar? No "real" dairy? Are you then taking up veganism? (A practice the idea of which I find myself constantly contemplating dabbling in.) It's so metropolitan! Going organic makes me think of trendy Californians and the entirely-too-wealthy foodies who participate on the Food Network.

 
At July 13, 2006 4:01 PM, Blogger Katya said...

eleka - Well, I still eat meat, so I think that disqualifies me from veganism. Actually, I've recently been diagnosed with a number of food allergies, which include dariy products. (And I actually can still have sugar, but not corn syrup. Hence the "organic" foods.)

You should know better than to think I'd do anything out of a desire to be trendy. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home