s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Ward Halloween Party

Monday, October 31, 2005

Ward Halloween Party

As a general rule of thumb, I will much be happier if I stay home and read than if I go to a party. Melyngoch sums up my dating/socializing rubric: “If you want me to spend the evening with you, you must be more interesting than this book I’m reading. If you are not, then I will be staying home and reading this book.” However, if I spend too much time alone, I suddenly get very lonely, very fast. So I’m forcing myself to go to the ward Halloween party, just so I can get to know people, just so I don’t feel so lonely at church.

The party is at the (very large) home of a counselor in the bishopric. They live about a half an hour out of the “city,” and it’s dark and rainy, so I ride with someone else who knows the way. (Which also means I can’t go home early . . . ) I last for about an hour before I grab a book and sneak to a quiet corner to read.

We were playing pool and I made a couple of clean shots, but I’m an uneven player at best, and my team lost. So then I was playing someone else and also not doing well and he kept giving me advice on the shots to make (yes, I DO understand geometry) and I do NOT do well with being patronized (thank you) and so I told my opponent that I would be making my own decision about what ball to hit and he came and put his arm around me and I just about lost it so I went upstairs to read and not yell at people instead. (And more people were coming downstairs anyway, and I didn’t feel like playing badly in front of a crowd.)

I miss Scott. We were supposed to play pool last summer but then he got busy and I didn’t want to bug him. He has a way of telling me about something or showing me how to do something without being patronizing or making me feel dumb. I know he respects my intelligence (even as he mocks my poker playing style), and he’s just happy to tell me how to do something I happen not to know how to do.

Maybe we can shoot some pool when I come home for Christmas . . .

7 Comments:

At November 01, 2005 2:23 AM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

Did you happen to run into an Andrew Mills, Alex Parent, Tom Anderson, or Aaron Johnson at the party?

 
At November 01, 2005 8:59 AM, Blogger Katya said...

You mean the chemistry guys? Alex and Tom were there, and I probably just don't know who Andrew and Aaron are. The names are familiar.

Are they recently of the BYU chemistry dept.?

 
At November 01, 2005 11:53 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

The question everyone want to know now is what was the book?

 
At November 01, 2005 2:31 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

All chemistry weenies like me but like ten-fold nerdier (and smarter). WE were casual friends througout our BYU years. Aaron is skinny with curly hair and glasses. Andrew is about 5'9." He's a bit larger with dark hair and glasses. Tom was my lab partner in a physical chemistry lab. He is my favorite of the group. If ANY of them ask you out, be sure to talk to me first. Just out of curiosity, what did Tom and Alex dress up as?

 
At November 01, 2005 2:35 PM, Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

Oh yeah, tell them I said hi. Tom and Alex are both cool guys to hang out with.

 
At November 01, 2005 3:09 PM, Blogger Katya said...

SC - I don't think that Alex dressed up. Tom went Hawaiian, complete with shell necklace, Hawaiian shirt and a lavalava (that everyone insisted on calling a "skirt," much to his dismay).

Th - Lighten Up, by Chieko Okazaki. (I was limited to Bro. B.'s library of business management titles and the standard LDS literary canon.) It turned out to be a good choice, given the funk that I've been in lately.

 
At November 03, 2005 6:06 AM, Blogger Thirdmango said...

I like your new picture on top.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home