s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Utah Mormon stereotypes examined: #1 There's no place like home

Monday, March 24, 2008

Utah Mormon stereotypes examined: #1 There's no place like home

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to get to know a couple in my ward better when I had lunch at their house. The husband asked me what I thought of Maine (they being fairly new to the area, themselves) and I mentioned that I'd be happier when it got warmer again and that I did miss my family back in Utah.

He then made some patronizing comment about how Mormon girls can't stand to leave Utah or live very far away.

I didn't have a good retort at the time, but it struck me later what a bizarre thing it was to say.

Utah Mormon stereotype #1: Utah Mormons (or Utah Mormon women) can't stand to leave Utah and/or miss Utah if they do leave.

Actually, this may be often true, but that's only because many people, in general, like living where they grew up or living near family. I know Bostonians who don't want to leave Boston and southerners who are glad to be back in the south and Californians who miss California. It's not a Utah thing and it's not a Mormon thing. (Oh, and the grand irony? I later found out that this couple plans to settle in Texas eventually because — wait for it — his parents live there.)

5 Comments:

At March 24, 2008 7:24 PM, Blogger zookeeper08 said...

Oh that's great. Absolutely terrific.

 
At March 24, 2008 9:35 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

That sort of thing is really common among Texan men.

 
At March 25, 2008 10:21 AM, Blogger Katie said...

That's rich (*snort*). Anyway, I agree with you. It's not a location thing, and Utah Mormon girl are no more attached to their families than most people are. (Except, perhaps, people who don't like their families?)

 
At March 25, 2008 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dislike pompous people who mistakenly believe they can predict or accurately describe all the world around them with just a few pieces of information. Although, if I am honest with myself, I think I dislike them because they remind me of myself.

 
At May 05, 2008 12:36 PM, Blogger Zillah said...

This is the strangest Utah Mormon stereotype I've ever heard. I know very few Utah Mormons who are dying to stay in Utah. I know lots of people from all over the place who want to live near their families.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home