s Thoughts from the Physics Chick: Christmas carols

Friday, January 02, 2009

Christmas carols

So, I had this odd idea last month. My odd idea was that I would pick some random subject and become a quasi-expert on it by inter-library loaning book on the topic from the four corners of the earth. (I've been making research bibliographies off and on all semester for a few people, and I think I wanted a chance to use my vast librarian powers for my own benefit.)

After much deliberation, I finally selected the topic of treasuries of Christmas carols — I'd review a bunch of them and select the best. Unfortunately, the first book I came across (The New Oxford Book of Carols) proved to be pretty much the best collection I'd ever seen, so that abruptly cut the search short.

Having discovered this fabulous volume, though, I decided that my new knowledge quest would be to pick an individual Christmas carol every week and write a little about its history. (Really, I just want to be cool like Becca and post a regular feature.)

I realize that this is an odd time to begin such a venture, being as the Christmas season is nearly over. (I say nearly because today is actually the 9th day of Christmas, thank you very much.) So, if you hate Christmas music at non-Christmas times, you'd do well to avoid my blog on Fridays from here on out. (That said, I'm going to be talking about very old Christmas music which you may never even have heard of, so don't worry about getting something like "Santa Baby" stuck in your head every week.)

4 Comments:

At January 03, 2009 2:06 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Ego boost! Yay! ;)

The Christmas Carol things sounds cool.

 
At January 04, 2009 2:45 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Will you give us sound clips, as performed by Katya? Because if so, I'm there.

 
At January 04, 2009 1:34 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Th. - I'll go 1 for 2 and give you sound clips . . .

 
At January 07, 2009 12:33 AM, Blogger Th. said...

.

See? This is why people love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home